About 10 years ago when I was lazily making it around the track in gym class, did I think I’d be successful in a competition involving running? Definitely not!!
Today was my first official 5K where I tried to do well–Senior year in high school, some of us did a 5K, but we “power walked” and we didn’t really try our best. I am happy to announce that…
- I finished 1st in my age group (20-29);
- I was the 4th overall female finisher; and
- I finished 36th overall in the race out of 597 racers!
- Results: http://results.active.com/pages/displayNonGru.jsp?pubID=3&rsID=94188
Right now it is about 10:15pm and I am exhausted. That was one of the most difficult things that I have physically done, but I cannot tell you how proud I am. I can’t wait to do another race and improve from this point.
My hope is that in the fall I can encourage participants from my class to come out and just complete the race, even if they walk every step. I think finishing a race, no matter the distance, is a great accomplishment for anyone. For those of you who are in my ESMMWL classes, past and present, how would you feel about doing a 5K together?? I would love to hear how you all feel about doing something like this.
In class this week we discussed food labels and the role that they play in weight management. We talked about all of the elements that come into play when trying to make decisions about certain products: calories, fat, sodium, sugar, ingredients, cost, taste, whole grains, etc. The links below should be helpful in learning more about food labels.
- My Pyramid: mypyramid.gov
- Whole Grains Council (responsible for the labels): http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/
- Wheat Foods Council (very helpful for finding different types of grain products that are available): http://www.wheatfoods.org/Index.htm
- 11 Secrets to the Food Industry: http://eatthis.womenshealthmag.com/content/11-secrets-food-industry-doesnt-want-you-know?cm_mmc=ETNTNL-_-2010_05_27-_-HTML-_-dek
- From the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) – How to Understand and Use the Nutrition Label: http://www.fda.gov/food/labelingnutrition/consumerinformation/ucm078889.htm
- 6 Common Food Labels Explained: http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/2009/05/26-common-food-labels-explained.html
- What to Look for On Ingredient Labels: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/nutrition-labels-9/healthy-ingredients
- Burn Calories this Summer!: http://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness/surprising-ways-to-burn-calories-this-summer.aspx?xid=nl_EverydayHealthDietandNutrition_20100530 (Not label related, but still a great link!!)
Hope to post a stuffed peppers recipe for you tomorrow!! Have a great night!!